Thursday, January 11, 2007

What Could Be Better?


Beckham said: "This week Real asked me to make a decision regarding their offer to extend my contract.

"After considering several options to stay in Madrid or join other major British and European teams, I have decided to join LA Galaxy."

BBC News

This is sure to seem like good news to American fans of soccer and hot guys. Yet...

I'm not one who is afraid to note when a hot guy is really hot, so considering the high bar for hotness in the football world, I don't think Beckham is all that hot. Qweenbeen is a Rio Ferdinand fan. I hate to say I don't see it, since it might reflect poorly on how hot I might be. I prefer a softer, boyish, Cristiano Ronaldo look myself.

Nonetheless, Beckham's a'comin. He may be just slow and increasingly inconsistent enough for MLS but I guess his real appeal lies in his hotness.

I don't think David Beckham is bad, only that he was better. And his value for the sport in America probably has more to do with sexy than soccer.

Still, it could be great news for MLS- if other Americans think he's hotter than I do, and his hotness can overcome how much Americans hate soccer because we didn't invent it. Maybe Beckham and his wife together are hot enough to overcome our general contempt for the world's game. Maybe the kind of attention we usually give heiresses and celebrity baby-doings is the kind of attention MLS needs. Good for MLS... maybe.

And maybe good for the Beckhams. He'll get to watch his Los Angeles academy more closely and with Posh here, maybe she'll become quite the actress. Maybe Patrick Stewart can get his screenplay made.

Hooray For Everything
River Euphrates- Pixies
Respect- Otis Redding
After The Garden- Neil Young
I'm Amazed- Pixies
Nuguns- System of a Down
Spunky- Eels

No comments: