Friday, December 07, 2007

The Stain Lifter


I know it seems like something that shouldn't be true. I grant that people don't want to believe that we torture as a matter of course or that we are a people who confess by our actions that the lives we enjoy depend upon the deaths and torture of others, but at some point, people who do not, or did not, otherwise want to confront that reality, will have to.

The crap faucet has been dripping for a while now, and while many were able to ignore the early droplets, the mess is getting harder and harder to ignore.

There are various ways of confronting that. We are currently at a point where you can rationalize it by saying, "Well the Democrats were involved, too." And that will probably make things okay for you- if you're a butt. But if you're not a butt, or trying to recover from being a butt, you may want to try something else. You could try not saying the F-word or drinking beer.

That doesn't do anything for me, but I'm sure for many it's a surrogate for making a difference. And as far as surrogates go, it's better than buying a Hummer or cheating on your spouse.

But for others of you, you may want to-
Stop everything! I've got it

Maybe I'm not being fair or honest with myself. Maybe the life I live really is worth someone's death and torture.

I mean, I am a Christian and we're all into that business aren't we? The idea of someone being brutalized for our benefit is mother's milk, right?

Oh here comes how I'm sleeping at night...

Ready?

Here it is: Not only are we are helping others to be more Christ-like, torture and murder are our communion.

I can believe that. What's more literally flesh and blood than actual flesh and blood?

It's so perfect and simple. It's perfectly simple. I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight.

_______________________________________________
No, this is the line. What I've written clearly has not crossed it.
I Will Crap My Pants and Wake Up Crying
Maggie's Farm- Bob Dylan
My Funny Valentine- Chet Baker
Spaceboy- Smashing Pumpkins

No comments: