Friday, October 21, 2005

You See What You See


Katrina drew out a lot of self-analysis and critical observations from many corners.
I mentioned before that I saw multi-level civic failure and a glimpse into the nature of power in our country.
Some people, Al Qaeda and some Christians to name a few, saw divine punishment.
However, the VP of the NRA, Wayne La Pierre, saw an opportunity to subvert democracy. That is, according to polls the majority of Americans support increased gun regulation and stricter enforcement of existing gun control laws but good old democracy and the 2nd amendment are no match for the lobbying power of the NRA. In the words of Wayne, images and stories of "citizens standing there alone when... no police protection was available, defending their lives and their propoerty with a firearm" aided the passage of a bill to give gun makers more protection than any other industry in the US.

Tom DeLay may be a... Tom DeLay may represent much of what is wrong with politics but he just did what I say I will do if I'm arrested. In his mug shot he is wearing a suit, tie and an ear to ear grin. This is a much better approach than the typical disheveled, shirtless, I should be on an episode of Cops, or locked up simply because I am scary look you generally get.

Although you could also say that his smile suggests how little regard he has for the rule of law. In fact, that's what I will say.

I Hear What I Hear
This Charming Man-The Smiths
You Are The Sunshine of My Life-Stevie Wonder
Picture of Jesus-Ben Harper
Thank You for Sending Me an Angel-Talking Heads
Excitable Boy-Warren Zevon
Low Light-Pearl Jam
Johnny Quest-The Reverend Horton Heat
Stuck With Me-Green Day

No comments: