Tuesday, June 06, 2006

What Really Matters


I've had some time to play World Cup 06 and here's what I look forward to:

I can advance with 7 points generally playing a 3-5-2 (some would call it a 3-4-1-2) with Mc Bride and Johnson (his speed destroys defenders hoping for a trap) as my starting strikers and Donovan behind them. Convey has been key in building attacks and Reyna's been good for breaking up attacks before they build. I just keep the defense tight in the back and actually finished with a clean sheet against the Czechs and Australia (that's who the game had advance from F). I beat Italy (1-2) with a goal in the last five minutes but drew against Ghana. I experimented with my formation and line up to see what other options I might have as I advanced. I think the draw was more a result of the line up than the formation though. I can't get Ching to do anything starting or subbing. Wolff has proved an okay starter and vindicated my coaching... sorry, my managing, by being a great sub and scoring.

I face Switzerland next.

2 comments:

Skybalon said...

I actually like the AI defense this time around. The last FIFA title I have is '04. In that a defender will chase you around forever as long as you have the ball.
I found the WC '06 defenders will space themselves appropriately. Plus, it seems to learn my attacking style and closes holes that I would previously exploit.
It's not like playing a person but I haven't yet exhausted or cracked the AI defense so that I know exactly what it will do.
I also found it matters who you have where in your defense. Mess around with your back three if you're playing too much defense and rely on your midfielders for breaking up attacks in the middle third. Stand off a bit, when another player moves in switch players, mark your man, press, switch players again, move into the zone where you anticipate the pass, switch players again to whomever is marrking the player with possession, press hard forcing a pass or a move. In my 3-5-2 I have Reyna and Convey doing as much attacking as defending. It's working. In my Round of 16 game, my opponent didn't even have a shot on goal.

I beat Switzerland and play Mexico on July 4th.

Anonymous said...

nerds. in every thing on the planet there are players and then there are nerds. though i admit i am hard pressed to find sport nerds. but you guys are helping me with that. i find the nerds and collect them in my nerdseum.