Monday, August 13, 2007

You're Still Here? It's Over- Go Home- Go


WASHINGTON- To see the type of person who still backs him, President Bush need only look in the mirror. The president fits the composite of today's Bush supporter: a conservative, white, Republican man, an evangelical Christian who goes to church regularly.

AP/Washington Post

I don't know if that's who MY PRESIDENT really is. Well first of all, I guess it's hard to say even say what that is? When I think conservative I think more of a librarian than a frat boy. And white? What does that mean? Britney Spears-white? George Allen-white? Bill Gates-white? It's not just about skin color is it?

I'm pretty sure it means the people who still support MY PRESIDENT identify with him; whether it really is him is another matter. It seems like the plain-speaking, church-going, folksy Christian cowboy persona is a convenient construction- convenient because, if John Hughes taught us anything, we know the kids with the fancy cars and clear skin are the villains. He is, after all, a Connecticut born, Ivy League, heir to an American oligarchic dynasty- a John Hughes bad guy if there ever was one. That's not very presidential- well, it's absolutely presidential but we like to pretend it's not.

It might not matter to them, though. If that's who he really is or not, it plays for at least that steadfast 1/4 to 1/3 of Americans who believe in his folksy wholesomeness and a young earth despite evidence to the contrary. They see the simple man who loves his momma (not his mother), says "ain't" (just like every other Andover grad), and prays... Boy does he like to let us know he prays- and feels the prayers of others. Someone could look at him and say, "He's one of us." Which sometimes, in some circles, means, "That's me; I love it 'cos it's me." That's not love, and it's certainly no starting point for community. Rather seems like a bit of idolatry doesn't it? No? How about a horribly malformed body- one composed only of gluteal clefts?

I'm a big fan of the body as metaphor for understanding all kinds of junk. A finger is a finger, for example, only in its connection to and relation with other parts- it's articulation and use is impossible apart from other different elements. That's a helpful way for me to understand us. I'm of the mind that who we are is expressed in what we do (and what we say is in the range of possibilities) in our relative choices. So not only do I play a unique role in a community, I also know who I am through connection and interaction with others. It's limited of course. A finger is a finger and a person is a person. I don't know what all makes a given range of possibilities particular for one person and not another. I don't know everything that makes me me- that makes me say these things are possible for me but these others are not.

I'm sorry- I mean I know that God knit me together in my mother's womb and that I am fearfully and wonderfully made and that's what dictates the range of possibilities. I mean I don't know beyond that.

Anyway, I wonder what he really does see when he looks in the mirror. Is he really the cowboy, or is he someone that feels compelled to play the cowboy? Stories of rebellion against his upbringing and environment abound. Cowboy may be a continuation of that. It may also simply be the role that sells to his base so he has to play it. Whatever the case it's a performance isn't it? Not necessarily fake- but a performance nonetheless. It is the role he has to play: cowboy... or perhaps better: gangsta' cowboy (gangsta' in the way suburban kids listening to 50 Cent are gangsta'). There is a limited range of possibilities for him in that role; we've seen them. Maybe it's still helpful to describe it in Hughesian terms. He didn't like the world as bad grown ups had laid it out for him- especially as their conspicuous absence or misguided attention relinquished any claims they had on who he would be. So he began destroying stuff- starting with the part he thought he was expected to play. And then, in case the mean adults didn't quite understand that he was toppling their built up and imposed expectations, he started destroying the things they valued: a Ferrari, Suburban Chicago Mansions, dad's political campaign, Iraq. And, at first, it seems kinda' cool- like Gary is taking a principled stand, or Ferris is really helping his friend out, but then it dawns on you- they're really just narcissisistic buttholes.

Oh by the way- when I say we play roles or understand ourselves within a given community or culture, I don't mean we need to be 2-dimensional types- though some may choose to be. And still, the act of choosing to play those roles says something about who we are. That it is an acceptable option within a group also says something about that group. I think I mean something like that.

So a small percentage still has faith. I guess those are the kind of people you want on your side. Unless of course, MY PRESIDENT has been trying to turn everyone against him with the whole gangsta' cowboy bit and you- you 28 Percenters- are just making MY PRESDIENT do crazier and crazier things. Which, now that I type that, is probably very appropriate. It's probably, much like the Evangelical support of Israeli militarism and apartheid; it's just another calculated move to lure Jesus back.

I Have a Bag of the Organic Lomas al Rio- If You Have The Means, I Highly Recommend Picking One Up
Steal My Body Home- Beck
My Dad Sucks- The Descendents
Many Rivers to Cross- Jimmy Cliff
PLanet of Sound- Pixies
The Right Profile- The Clash
Hip Hop- Dead Prez
La Cucaracha- MFM
Folsom Prison Blues- Johnny Cash
St. Louis Blues- Louis Prima
Rocker- Miles Davis
Two Reelers- Frank Black
Clint Eastwood- Gorillaz
Boogie Shoes- KC and the Sunshine Band
Crown of Love- The Arcade Fire
Don't Change Your Plans- Ben Folds Five
All My Life- Foo Fighters
Jesus Was Right- Frank Black
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds- The Beatles
Wave of Mutilation- Pixies
Let's Go Away For A While- The Beach Boys
Reelin' In The Years- Steely Dan

No comments: