Tuesday, April 15, 2008

An Open Letter To Olive Garden or The Olive Garden Commercial Creators


Dear Olive Garden,

Our lives are not safe. Appearances aside, we live lives that our well out of control. It's a challenge to remember this let alone embrace it, but those instances wherein we seek a greater security or sense of authority than is possible are the times when we are most devilish.
Any attempt to deny or erase this from our existence is an illusion that will dominate us. We have developed many ways to disguise our contingency but it remains that whether fixed in civilization, nature, or the gods, it's all wind in sails. It's proper so long as it is proper, though it is perhaps our "original" sin that it does not. Or is it that we cannot hold it in its proper place? We are so easily dominated.
That said, there will be times when, apart from my intention or desire I will find myself eating in an Olive Garden. This is as it should be for one who will not hate his freedom
I ask only that you stop portraying me, the person that may someday eat in an Olive Garden, as you do in your commercials. I do what I can to not be that vapid, but even if I did not, you must resist the temptation to create an ideological, destructive template for those who may find themselves in your world.

I remain
-[skybalon]

No comments: