Tuesday, September 26, 2006

But This One Goes to 11


My blogging is thin. The things I write are silly. That's okay, the things I want to write are being written by others. I accept that for now. It's for a time.

As for the silly-

I listen to music as I read and write. I listen to music on my computer. The music on my computer is rated. That is, I actually use the "My Rating" feature in iTunes. I have a lot of five star songs. That seems fine- I should have a lot of songs that I like. But I wonder of there is a bit of star inflation going on.

I think I have a high bar for determining wether a song will make it to my library. Maybe I do, maybe not. In either case I have songs that have only one star. Still they are songs I enjoy. I have songs that have no stars- even those are songs that I like to hear. (There are songs in my library I don't listen to- or like. I leave those unchecked so I don't have to hear them. Ever.) It would seem because I load only songs that I think are worth hearing, I wouldn't have any one or zero star songs. But that's not the case. I wonder if it should be. Compared to someone else's library, I would say my one star songs may be better than their five star songs. I don't know.

But the five star song- five stars seems like something that should happen only infrequently. How do I have so many five star songs? Is it because I like great music that inevitably so many of my songs deserve five stars? Because I like such great music, should there be an even higher standard? Should a great song be considered only a fraction as great because of its association with other great songs? I don't know that either.

What's more, if I make a five start playlist, I invariably hear a song that stands head and shoulders above the others. Should I reassess my ratings based on those songs? Should they be categorized as unratable? Still not knowing.

Even if it remains unresolved, this song deserves six stars: If There's Such a Thing as Love -The Magnetic Fields. If I were a better blogger I would put it here for you.

No comments: