Wednesday, November 15, 2006

You're Killing Me, Larry


If you're not familiar with Sit n Sleep and their commercials, consider yourself lucky. Even just thinking about them, the stupid catchphrases are stuck in my head, and probably will be until iTunes pulls up an ABBA song (c'mon Waterloo). Their commercials are stupid and annoying, as are a lot of commercials. I'd embed a video of the commercial as a point of reference, but apparently no teenagers have thought to upload any to YouTube. My point is not that they're stupid. Like I said, that's not much in the world of commercials. I think they also happen to be anti-semitic. Oh I found them.

I have no problem with using stereotypes in satire or to make a good point. Dave Chappelle using stereotypes to undermine them and mock the people who actually believe they are useful tools for negotiating life or controlling others is perfect... mostly.

Whatever.

Sit n Sleep's use of cheap Jewish stereotypes is for nothing more than selling mattresses- talk about a shonda. An accountant named Irwin with a whiney, nasally voice complaining about how much money they're losing... am I the only one who sees this? Really?

M'eh...

Maybe I'm paranoid, maybe I'm just a baby, maybe I'm just smarter than most people, but I notice these things. You need me. You need me to see these things. Things like the convergence of the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act, the secret listing of Americans who cannot enter or leave the country, the Justice Dept. and courts saying non-citizens can be held indefinitely without trial, and MY PRESIDENT saying it's exceptional that we still held elections even though we're at war.

A nutshell:
a.) Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act: If you cause economic loss for a business via any form of protest you can be declared a terrorist. (Read- if you sponsor a successful boycott or peacefully picket a place and customers are turned away, you're a terrorist)
b.) You can be secretly placed on a no entry/exit list, even with a visa, and have no way to challenge your placement because the whos, hows, and whats of the list are a secret, essentially making you a prisoner without trial.
c.) The universal rights of people and limits on a government's power to imprison people claimed in our Bill of Rights seems to not matter. Mix this with the increasing ways "the government" can label people terrorists, combatants, or otherwise outside of the protection of the Constitution, mmmm that's good tyranny.
d.) The Constitutional given that we elect our leaders isn't such a given if it's ever a surprise that we would hold elections.

If 9/11 changed everything- if it changed things to this, didn't "they" win?

Look I have papers to finish and essays to grade. You have to start putting these pieces together without me.

Okay- I know how we'll do this. Here's a test. Here's another commercial I'm a big baby about. In this case I am sure I'm right.
So what do you think?

Does it help if I tell you that Chevy named this commercial "RaHoWa?"

They didn't, but when it's this obvious do they have to?

Oh well; good luck.

Now Is the Time I Disappear
Delta 88- X
Superstition- Stevie Wonder
With a Little Luck- Paul McCartney
I Asked For Water- Howlin' Wolf
Talk About the Passion- REM
Gouge Away- Pixies
C-C- Tom Vek
Gimme the Car- Violent Femmes
Casey Jones- Grateful Dead
It Aint Easy- David Bowie
Brazil- Juan Garcia Esquivel (how appropriate)

5 comments:

Daniel Lopez said...

Thank you for keeping in real. I just heard a program on the radio talking about how commercials are like sermons. There is the sinner (you) who is sad or incomplete in some way, than there's the savior, the product who makes life worth living, and wham. You're saved Just trade Jesus with beer and you are on your way.

Bob Ramsey said...

The recent elections would suggest that maybe, despite what Chevy and overweight people dining at Cracker Barrel may assert, this is no longer "their (our) country".

We can only hope

Skybalon said...

I am keeping it real! Thank you for noticing.

I like the identity property you highlight in your comment: commercials=sermons, sermons=commercials.

I wonder how many preachers don't think of Jesus as a product to sell.

Jesus: apply directly to the forehead
Jesus: apply directly to the forehead
Jesus: apply directly to the forehead

I worry that the recent elections might make "them" fight harder for their country.
Lincoln's election pretty much guaranteed the Civil War.

Christopher Frazier said...

> Lincoln's election pretty much guaranteed the Civil War.

As did Clinton's. Can we try Tom Delay as a war criminal yet?

Skybalon said...

If we are in a civil war it would help if "they" wore uniforms... Oh I guess they do.