Wednesday, March 04, 2009

I Hit You Only Because I Love You So Much



So I'm thinking lots about silence these days. To be specific silence as an act, silence as an act of critical language. Blah blah blah...

I write this because normally I offer some clever or funny intro and segue into the subject, but not this time.

I know, I know, I'll write something to make you LOL or say "So true... so true" at another time.

What I have is something to ponder, maybe query style but perhaps not so systematic, around this point. Here 'tis: Do acts of love need verbal justification?

Are loving acts loving, in and of themselves, when they can be done without a need for explanation?
The more we need to verbally justify an action, is it less a work of love?
Is it ultimately self-serving to explain to someone that an act as loving, if it is not understood as such without an explanation ("self" here needing to be understood not merely as some inward sense of agency and consciousness but also including at least a framework and world of understanding that affirms and makes that sense of self possible)?
If, as a Christian, I say, "I do 'such and such' in the name of Christ" am I not actually doing it for self?
How would imagining how to silently show love (that is, without words) be transformative? (And then of course, doing.)
Am I just hearing the lingering echoes of Works of Love here? Ugh, that would be wasteful...

I suppose it might help to think of the things you do with and for those you love and how they are known as such in that world of understanding you share with them.

What?

I mean, you likely know people, live with people, share a world with people that you love- that you live with in love- wherein love is shown in the lives that you live with each other with little, if any, verbal justification. It may actually be that verbal justification diminishes the act to you, even if it would seem to otherwise follow from knowing that you love each other-

"I want you to know, I'm doing this because I love you"...

"I'd really like to do such and such for you, but if I can't tell you that I'm doing it for love, then I'd rather not bother..."

Seems creepy, disingenuous, or sinister, rather than loving, no?

What would you do, if you wanted to show someone you love them but weren't allowed to tell them you were doing it "for love"?
Who could you show?
Who would you have not the least clue how to show?

By the way, I do see the absurdity of using words to communicate questions born by pondering silence or meant to encourage silently demonstrating love but this is meant to be thrown away.

No comments: