Friday, March 27, 2009

The Morning Lasts All Day


The Lovely Elizabeth is singing the chorus to Life in a Northern Town these days. A lot. It makes the Qweenbean happy.

She admitted that it makes her hurry home from work now. The soft inference is she previously did not come home as quickly as she could. Whereas I, the good parent, can't wait to get around our little spawn's filled diapers, inarticulate articulation of wants, demand to be held, need to be constantly watched, and all that fun stuff.

...

A student asked if I enjoyed parenting and I said I do not. I love The Lovely Elizabeth. I want to do everything I can to take care of her, think of her when I'm away from her, like the little person I see developing, want to treat that responsibly, am excited about being with her in the future, and who knows what all else. I like that I am her parent as far as that goes, but I don't think I could say I like parenting. Other, better people, may like parenting as a concept and try somehow to develop that dynamic with people whose parents they are not (was there a better way to write that?). I am not one of them. I can't imagine myself waking up 5 times a night for... well you, dear reader as an example. I don't see myself doing the things I do as a parent as enjoyable in themselves.

Do I?

No. I think I stand by that. And I think I can say that the joy I find in knowing The Lovely Elizabeth, the strange feeling of elation that wells up in my chest when she smiles, when I hear her little voice, when she lunges toward me to give what seems like a hug, the fondness I feel for her, the concern, interest etc... is all carried by our knowing and getting to know each other rather than through being part of some preformed template for a relationship that we may call "parent" or doing "parenting".

There's a difference?

This may seem a silly difference to point out, but the silliness has broader implications.

As we hold out certain concepts as good: parenthood, dating, marriage, what have you- we obscure its reality that includes awfulness, ugliness, sadness, suffering, etc... I don't mean that we don't perhaps know that any set of relations will have difficulties, I mean our putting the relations forward as an ideal, especially as an ideal to which we say folks ought to aspire can lead to despair or guilt for feeling things that are a part of living with and knowing someone, let alone raising someone.

Whatever, it's not like the confusion someone may feel at being sad when everyone tells them them they are experiencing the greatest joy ever is a big deal.


The Lovely Elizabeth is the one with the goatee.

6 comments:

monster machine said...

You love a baby? I don't get it, maybe someday when I steal one of my own, I guess. Plus the one with the goatee looks like Booger from revenge of the nerds.

C.P.O. said...

Couldn't agree more. It's hard to separate the two, but I love my kids but really struggle with some of the stuff that comes with being their parent.

Skybalon said...

-The Monster Machine- Love baby? blargh! Me man- marrghh me not love- graaafflleg Love is gay.

-Todd H.- I'm likely a horrible person, but at least once I've found myself thinking "This is why a 16 year old mother with no money, family, or friends to turn to would leave a kid on someone's door step."

Anonymous said...

Listen dude. If you are going to use my stories you better tell them accurately or at least better then I tell them. I very clearly said I am anxious to come home not that I can suddenly manage to finish work early. I am angered by your interpretation. I demand a retraction or you will feel my wrath in real life not just in NerdWorld.

QB

Bob Ramsey said...

Ba-Ba Ba Ba Ba-Ba Be-Bah!

And dude, ur like shocked or something that ppl sentamenatlize ther lives? Lol.

Skybalon said...

-Bob- I am not shocked at sentimentalizing. I sentimentalize my experience- only I figure that the sentiments grief, anger, frustration, sadness, et cetera are as much a part of the grievous human calculus as elation, joy, ecstasy, pleasure...

I am concerned though with the alienation and what follows when/where sentimentalize might mean romanticize and one's actual existence can not relate to that.

To take it further than may be warranted, we relate to out existence in a way that cannot be existence.