Monday, March 02, 2009

I'm Here to Ruin Your Day


So it turns out The Road is soon to be a major motion picture. I'm curious to see how it's been put to film but you should read the book before its release.

Even if it had not been made into a movie, I would recommend the book. I've been recommending it here and there, but my learning that it will be/is a movie has presented a kind of urgency, so...

Here it is: my global recommendation that you read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It is the greatest theological book of the 21st century.

Really.

I warn you that it is bleak and haunting, conjuring images that are deeply disturbing and indelible, but I don't know of another book* that more plainly or unflinchingly holds a mirror to the reader and demands some sense of responsibility. It's a horrible, horrible book, starkly holding out what it means to be human, and who wants to confront that?

Read it. Quick, before it's a movie.
---

*I'd say we're largely out of the practice of biblical texts doing this, and I can't overstate how shockingly aggressive The Road is in this regard. As such it's a good text to push one into that place.

No comments: