Monday, April 13, 2009

I Thought It Was Supposed to Help You Stay In the Game


Alternate Take

So Rick Warren canceled an appearance on the news show This Week yesterday. He claimed health and fatigue issues were exacerbated by inhaling fumes from a newly completed pulpit.

That happens.

I struggle buying the idea that Rick Warren is more a pastor than a certain type of entrepreneur. Following that, it's hard for me to see his role as more than reaching a certain type of consumer. He's got a job to do, he's got a customer to keep satisfied. He knows what sells, what to put on clearance, and what to never stock. He does pretty well, I'd say.

If that's seems ungracious to you, know that I see myself in the same light and think that perspective comes only by grace.

Whatever. Maybe that's just my problem, or maybe there's something to it. Or maybe it's my problem because there is something to it.

I've found in my own life that it's hard to mess around with these "things of faith" and stay the same.

I will grant that maybe he really is exhausted. One can only hold the tension between what Christ does and what you will for so long.

"If one drinks much from a bottle marked poison, it is almost certain to disagree witth one sooner or later."

2 comments:

Sean Christopher said...

you struggle "buying the idea?"

it's so quiet you could hear a pun drop.

Skybalon said...

Of everything I've ever put to the internets this is what you call out?