Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Guess Who's Back


I really liked Robocop. The just past the horizon future imagined was brilliantly prescient: giant luxury cars, privatized government services, TV dominated by hackneyed catch phrases and boobies. It was really the present (1987) skewed just enough to seem laughable. That's typically what the future is. Anyway, I was away this past week (I was a high school camp counselor at a little place called Quaker Meadow) and came back to see I really hadn't missed all that much even though quite a bit was happening. All the happenings reminded me how amazingly absurd we are.
    A man died from having sex with a horse.
    The president is too busy biking and clearing brush to meet with the mother of a deceased soldier.
    Prepositions matter a whole lot in Texas. (It seems you can shoot toward people but not at them or drive into a crowd but not over it).

Nothing like going away for a while to remember to be shocked.
Anyway, at camp I discovered what a jerk I am, invented an amazing game called ultimate foursquare, and found it incredibly easy to get people to eat dog food. More on all of those later.

No comments: