Monday, September 19, 2005

Hey I'm Back


Hola, amigos, I know it's been a while since I rapped at you. I know, I know, it's a bit inside.
One of the reasons I started doing this was to try to discipline myself to write something that wasn't related to school. I mean non-academic writing. I failed that this last week. I failed horribly. I sort of need to be aggressively academic so I can increase my "marketability." That just means I need to do really well in school- obsessively well so in the long run I can get a teaching gig. In the short run I miss a lot of sleep, TV watching opportunities, and don't do much personal writing. Of the three, right now, perhaps I miss TV most- the Emmys were just on celebrating the brightest starts of our TV galaxy, making clear what a horrible darkness I have sent myself to.
Some people say that the condition of your home is evidence of what is going on with you internally. So here is an emotional/psychological inventory via a description of our dining room. (Which also serves as our living room, library, and family room.) Our dining room table is about 3 feet wide by six feet long. It is covered with Cyndi's and my school books and book bags. There are two packages of cookies- open, stale, and half-gone, a very realistic looking air soft pellet gun modeled after a 9mm Beretta, a handheld 1,000,000 candle power flashlight functioning as a bookrest, a Claremont Colleges Express Checkout Library receipt, a 2x2x2.5 plastic box of Fall seasonal decorations, a TV remote control, gum wrappers, a Latin dictionary, a set of nail clippers, a Barnes and Noble invoice, two empty drinking glasses- one on a coaster, bottle caps, take out food packaging, a domed glass cake platter, Aland's Greek New Testament, folded laundry- whites, a Dictionary of Philosophy and Religion, a carved ironwood sea turtle, a copy of Hegel's Phenomenology, a commentary on the same, two plastic shopping bags of cake decorating supplies, a 15 inch PowerBook running iTunes- playing Universal Traveler by Air, a beanie put on my head by a student at camp and never returned, and my left forearm.
There has been a lot I wanted to write about but I just haven't had the time. I had a bit of a breakdown because my dad is a Republican. It's more involved than that, but embarrassingly that's what it comes to. I got angry at a pregnant lady. And I've really wanted to write what I've been thinking about judgment and punishment in conversation with dbravo and kind of how I see it in my life.
So I am trying to follow some type of schedule so that I'll have the opportunity to write, do all the reading and writing I need to do for school, spend time with Cyndi, see friends, etc...

No comments: