Sunday, September 25, 2005

It's This or Hegel


I was at the downtown (L.A.) peace march this past weekend. I will have more to say about that and some pictures to post later. In the meantime, these are the types of things distracting me from homework:

-Things I overheard in a coffee shop-
Kevin was small framed and probably younger than his appearance suggested. He had the short "preemptive" haircut popular with many men fighting a receding hairline and rested his elbows on his knees when he talked so that his forehead rested inches above the table top when he listened to his grandmother or, when he was looking up to talk, framed his head against his shoulders to give him a sort of plaintive and entreating look.
Grandma wore blue polyester slacks, a floral print smock, glasses at her chest, and had a cane leaning against her chair. She sat upright and leaned back slightly when she began to speak but slowly moved forward and closer to Kevin while his head was down.

Kevin-You know gramma, about the drinking- it’s not the drinking, I mean it’s not the liquor it’s the anger- I mean my anger and my alcohol it just doesn’t mix- if I put the alcohol aside I still have my anger- you know? I wanna chill down but its from my mom- or I dunno where I got it from- but it’s not the alcohol I thought about it the whole week- I mean calling you at the hotel- or when I called you it wasn't 'cos I was drinking- or I mean I got more angry cos I was drinking- but I was out of control 'cos I’m angry. It was uncalled for-

G-Ma-I know it was uncalled for

K-And that’s what makes me feel worse cos it was a special day

G-I know it was a special day. And I’m glad you didn’t know Susan had borrowed the car because it would have made you angrier...

No comments: