Monday, February 06, 2006

Herb Kohl Is a Senator from Wisconsin; His Last Name Means Cabbage



While my computer was gone I had to:
a.) Use computer labs at school.
b.) Actually write (as opposed to type) all the wacky ideas that came to me.
c.) Do schoolwork instead of searching the internet for stupid this or that.

Here's a peek at the kind of stuff I would've posted:


So I finally got my computer back. (Jon, I have your screws). If you were a faithful reader and wondered that maybe I had been detained by DHS, I'm sorry to have concerned you. But I'm here, so is great TV.

We have cable TV now. Remember the whole DSL-I'm-Being-Surveilled-Why-Doesn't-My-Phone-Work Problem I was having? Well, we have a cable connection and cable TV now. We haven't had it very long but Cyndi already has a favorite channel: Animal Planet. It's her favorite to the degree that there are already shows she has seen more than once. And I was cautious at first, but now who cares? If I feel like watching five minutes of basketball right now- I can. How about coverage of week 25 of Premiere League results with actual moving images? I have that. House of Commons debate- absolutely making me pine for articulate leaders able to engage each other in conversation. And plenty of scintillating CSPAN.

So while I have other things I want to write and need quickly get back to my homework, I want to be the first to say that according to Attorney General Gonzales, George Washington ordered electronic surveillance during wartime. Weird huh?
But weird or not, in response to a softball lobbed from Republican Senator Chuck Grassley, Alberto listed a number of presidents who used electronic surveillance during wartime. George Washington was on that list. That's what he said, ELECTRONIC surveillance.

I don't know if that's true though. Alberto was not under oath when he said that. In fact, there was a long discussion before his "testimony" as to whether he should be under oath. It was deemed by the Chair to be unnecessary so now we can't know that George Washington used electronic surveillance with any kind of assurance. But I guess that's the case with any of the testimony.

It would seem that anytime you are writing or speaking about anything of substance you would choose your words willy nilly- no wait carefully, I mean you would choose your words carefully.

Oh, and did you also know that if you think it's a bit of an executive overreach to bypass both the legislative and judicial branches of government in surveilling us you want Al Qaeda to attack the US again? That's what Grassley and Gonzales decided. So if you think the Constitution, its amendments and subsequent decisions prevent any government agent from listening in on your phone conversations without a court order you want us all to die . Why would you want that? Why do you hate America so much? You're a jerk.

Just so you know, jerk, the Congressional authorization to use any necessary and appropriate force to catch Al Qaeda means the President and any executive representative can do whatever the President wants to catch terr'ists. That includes the use of wire taps without a court order (even though some have said it doesn't). That means spying on Quakers. That means... I guess whatever anybody wants it to mean. And who cares- I can see Law and Order or CSI at almost any time of the day on almost any day of the week. If it means someone else watches me so I can watch the attempted comeback of O-Town heart throb Ashley Parker, that seems a fair trade off. The country's in great hands so take it easy hippies and get cable.

1 comment:

Skybalon said...

I've discovered that Animal Planet and Comedy Central run a 36 hour looping feed of the same 5 shows. But I think I like knowing I can catch an episode of The Daily Show or The Colbert Report about as easily as a... bus. No... cold... no as easily as... well hmm... not Osama he seems pretty tough to catch. Maybe- as easy to catch as a venereal disease from Paris Hilton. Yes that's it- I can catch an episode of The Daily Show or The Colbert Report as easily as I could catch a veneral disease from Paris Hilton.