Saturday, July 26, 2008

Fear Not; You Are of More Value Than Many Sparrows


My dogs and I were being unduly attacked by mocking birds as they chased a ball around the yard yesterday, and while it's fun to see mocking birds attack my dogs (my actual dogs, not my homies, that should've been clear though since I didn't write "my dawgs"), it's not fun to see them unduly attack my dogs. It seems too stressful for the birds and my dogs. And when I become a target, then forget it, the little bit of front yard Wild Kingdom is over.

Eventually, I learned why the mocking birds were so upset.

Their chick was on the ground instead of up in a tree. Long story short, I did enough to satisfy my standard of reasonableness (which, face it, for any of us, it is never enough to satisfy the actual needs of the world) but my conscience is another story. That is, I took care of the mockingbird chick as well as I could considering the circumstances.

So it occurs to me to ask, could a conscience worth the word be satiable?

But Screw Mocking Birds, They're Jerks, Right?
Kind of Blue- Miles Davis

No comments: