Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Small Victories


I think sometimes we... I'm trying to be honest here... I think sometimes I spend too much time thinking about the big picture or problems that really don't matter to us.

You may have noticed I tend to harp on issues of violence and ecclesial integrity but were I really concerned about eliminating frustration or anger from my life I would be more concerned with things closer to home. So I confess perhaps I only feign outrage as a matter of show or self-indulgence and in that lose sight of what really matters to us.

This morning we have the opportunity to realize we are blessed with a small victory. After the brief period of increased accidents caused by dummies trying to learn to use their new handsfree phone attachments, we will enter a new age of driving. No more will we be stuck behind someone going 10-20 miles per hour less than they should. People will respond more quickly to changing traffic lights. No more last minute decisions, recoveries, or overcorrections. Today, in California, we have the opportunity to see, in real life, the kind of difference our collective action can make. Even if something is unpopular and requires a little bit of effort, this is the kind of thing that can be done.

I mean, all my griping about violence- who cares am I right? It's not like I have to go kill anyone. And ecclesial integrity? Like that even means anything?

This truly is a golden age.

No comments: