Thursday, July 03, 2008

We're Not Actually Saying This is
the Earth Calling You


I was trying to teach Me Love You about jokes yesterday. He's reached an age when he finds it necessary to experiment with creating his own jokes, only he's not telling jokes. Not even riddles. They're nonsense and though nonsense may sometimes be used to make a joke a joke- he's not reached that stage of the craft. I think jokes are an incredibly important part of language, thought, interaction, being human. It's fine to be eight years old and not quite understand how to craft a joke. Mostly fine. But he has to be drawn through this.

Here's why I'm a jerk. I won't laugh at a kid's joke if it isn't funny. I ask why it's a joke. I'll say I don't get it and ask it to be explained. Of course the threshold for what counts as a kid's joke is very low, but I say there is a threshold.

-Why was the fork afraid of the spoon?
-Why?
-Because it was twisted around it.
-I don't get it. Why is that funny?
-Look at the picture there, see the spoon is wrapped around the fork.

It's not funny. That's the same bit as those Meet the Spartans writers use. It's pointing at something you both see. Maybe it will make millions of dollars but it's not funny. It should be corrected.

-Knock knock.
-Who's there?
-Hoo
-"Hoo" who?
-Sorry I don't talk to owls.

That is funny.

But that explaining...

If you don't "get" a joke it can be explained but that doesn't do what is necessary for you to get the joke. You may be able to describe the structure, so to speak, the culture of a joke, why it can be what it is, but that is not the same as getting the joke. A joke necessarily takes advantage of cues and references that are part of a culture so though we may be able to say why it could be funny, or even, once we know the cues say, "Hey that is funny," we're still not a part of the people that get the joke. Are we?

-So a real cultured guy bought a pair of pants but they were so tight he couldn't get them on, so he shaved his legs.
-Uh, that's not funny.
-Oh... well see only barbarians wear pants.
- ...
-I mean in antiquity, only barbarians wore pants, but then it started to become fashionable to emulate barbarians and wear pants.
-Okay?
-And it was kinda' like what we do with cowboys- it's an affected masculinity so for him to wear pants is to be all, "Here comes John Wayne 'I'm not gonna cry about my pa, I'm gonna buy an airport and put my name on it,'" but then he gets rid of his leg hair... which is girly so he's, I don't know, not all manly like a hairy pants-wearing barbarian.
-Oh... okay. Try it again
-So a real cultured guy bought a pair of pants but they were so tight he couldn't get them on, so he shaved his legs.
-Okay, okay, yeah, I could see myself laughing at that. Yeah, okay, that is funny. Maybe next time though, make it about a middle aged divorced guy who wants to reclaim the virility of his youth and attract girls so he gets a big black Harley and because he doesn't feel manly enough with just the bike, he gets himself some leather chaps and all that but then he's not attracting girls if you know what I mean. That's funny. Say it that way next time.
-But that's not my joke.
-Eh well, it's funnier this way.

Mind The Tags
Jupiter, The Bringer of Jollity- Holst
Tuesday's Dead- Cat Stevens
36-24-36- Violent Femmes
Beautiful- Smashing Pumpkins
Extra Savoir-Faire-They Might Be Giants
Levitate Me- The Pixies
Brand New Cadillac- The Clash

No comments: