Friday, October 10, 2008

It's About Heritage, Not Hate


So some students at a Quaker university in Oregon hung an image of Barack Obama from a tree. Really. I know that sounds bad on the surface but we should remember that hanging a black man from a tree is an age-old form of American protest.

And if you look at the situation in context you can understand the act. There was a note attached indicating that the demonstrators were protesting a university outreach program targeting minorities. From what I hear, a good number of the kids at George Fox had their Harvard and Yale spots taken from them by less qualified minority students. So, you know.

A Quaker school. In Oregon.

Anybody want to talk me down?

2 comments:

Robin M. said...

It looks like the school did a fair job of condemning the act. And it doesn't mean that the people who did it were Quakers. But it's still an abomination.

(I think this is a much better use of that word than the usual context. What do you think?)

Skybalon said...

I am all for calling this an abomination- especially over gowing different crops in the same field.

You talked me down a little bit.