Monday, April 09, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookies Can Give You Diarrhea


We had a handful of visitors with us for worship yesterday, but only a couple of them were "unaffiliated" strangers. The others were a spouse that normally does not come. A family member home from school. A grandchild, a nephew. The like.

We had a larger group than any other typical Sunday, but, mostly, we were more because people who miss a Sunday here or there did not miss yesterday. It was Easter, I know, but I mention this because we did not have an influx of people who only attend church on Easter or Christmas. At least, we were not inundated with strangers. This might be a cause for concern for some, but I was actually happy with that.

The last three Sundays I dressed more formally than I usually do because I planned on wearing a suit, or at least a sport coat on Easter, and I didn't want anyone to make a big deal about it. So I wore a sport coat, big deal.

I sometimes go get a cup of coffee before worship on Sundays, but this Sunday I was reluctant because of this sport coat. I imagined making enough of an impression on others that someone would think "Oh, he's going to church." Even if only in that quick way we register others: early morning public Bible Studier, Skin industries White supremacist, cheerleader, reluctant mom, dog walkers, etc... I didn't want to be "Easter Church." I suppose if I were more Comfortable I could parlay this acknowledgment into a Can I Interest You in a Brochure About Christianity Moment. But I am not that guy. Remember, I am the guy that is glad we did not have too many strangers horning in on our worship yesterday. Especially yesterday. I wanted it to be private.

I should confess. I have universalist tendencies that I think are perfectly orthodox. Though my comfort with that word probably puts me on the outs with people who imagine they hold the keys to the orthodox cage. But I think these tendencies have to be expressed in a very particular setting- and not just any shmo can come along and know what's what. At least what's what for us. I don't believe Jesus died for believers, that is I don't believe He died for the elect- or I believe something along those lines depending on what we mean by elect. I believe Jesus died, but more importantly His life could not be conquered by death, for everyone. Not that everyone knows what that means- or that we can easily state what that means, but we're learning. And I hope we're learning that it's not bland pellet future food. It is everything we need but not in some tasteless, easy to swallow, self contained, nutritionally complete pill. It stinks like boiled cabbage. It's gamey like goat. It picks up a sweetness or heat from the soil where it's grown. (But it's not the soil where it's grown.) It's Scharfenberger, not Hershey's. It's Queso Fresco, not Velveeta.

I guess I can't catch the vision that I be fuel for a worldwide church multiplication movement that our grandchildren's grandchildren will be compelled to expand though I want to know Jesus Christ and make Him known.


That's A Bit Inside- I know
The Bends- Radiohead

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I sometimes go get a cup of coffee before worship on Sundya, but this sunday I was reluctant because of this sportcoat"
I know what you mean. When I'm coming home from work and need to stop off at the grocery store or "market", and I'm hesitant to go in with my chef coat on. People stare and sometimes tail me in hopes of sneeking a peak into my basket and getting some industry/trade secrets.