Thursday, April 19, 2007

I'm Ready, Depression; I'm Ready, Depression


About two weeks ago at church, I had a conversation about Islam and the Qur'an. Specifically, a German judge had not permitted an immediate divorce petition (as was permissible in cases of violence) because the couple was Muslim. As far as the judge understood, the Qur'an permitted violence against wives so the wife had no claim to a quick divorce. She had to play the waiting game for a divorce just like everyone else without a special claim. If you don't know, this judge was disciplined and her decision overruled. But these details didn't make it into the popular retelling of this story. Rather, it was told that a German judge said it was permissible for a husband to beat his wife because of the Qur'an. I was asked if I knew whether the Qur'an did actually command this and many of the other horrible things we hear the Qur'an commands. I said I hadn't heard about this German case (I have now) and that I didn't know about this command specifically, but from what I had read there are, in fact, parts of the Qur'an that are very ugly. I was asked why I thought Muslims didn't denounce those horrible things in the Qur'an or the many acts of violence that allegedly find their support in it.

I suggested it was probably similar to the reasons we, as Christians, don't feel compelled to apologize for Branch Davdians, Eric Rudolph, Westboro Baptist Church, or Christian Identity groups. Or it's similar to why we would probably find a way to get out of killing people who don't show up to church on Sunday or kids that hit their parents. We rightly see those things as crazy and not a part of who we say we are.

Speaking of Westboro Baptist

Do you feel the need to apologize for this? Should you?

This has got to be performance art (repeat until you believe it).

Anyway, that explanation made sense. Or at least, in this case, what I said seemed plausible.

I desperately need to hang on to that conversation.

I thought I had some responsibility to know what was going on in the world of culturally conservative Christianity. I figured I was here for a reason. Here in the big picture- in the land of Bush Cheney '04 stickers on SUVs and Dobsonian Family Values. Here being a branch of culturally conservative Christianity and the reason being to make sure our body was not one composed merely of right wings.

It would be good for everyone, each would be tested and changed by the other in community. I change, you change, we all change for ice cream. In these relations we are each saved from the tyranny of shallow identity and opinion. Together we learn to be people that are more capable of worshipping God. We get to see things, and be, differently than we might without each other. Something like that.

Or maybe nothing like that.

That doesn't seem to be the contemporary Evangelical MO does it?

Remember the ugly cowboy Don Imus? If you had ever heard of him before last week you might have known that he always said stupid offensive things. Or you may have known that he was funny- he said what everybody was thinking and sometimes stepped on people's toes because he refused to submit to the lords of political correctness. That's how he made his money. That's why people listened to him; he said things that were stupid or bold. It depends.

Think of the nonsense, both false and offensive, the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly, Sean Hannity et al. get away with everyday... or is it the truth that they boldly proclaim? Day after day their words resonate with a particular audience and create this feedback loop where people hear what they want and need to affirm who they are as this particular audience.

It's only when they show their faces outside of these cultures that they seem crazy or offensive. But they are always that crazy. It's a closed system of crazy.

I'm not saying the church is crazy, or that my church is crazy. I'm just wondering if it's more of a closed culture than I would've thought- than I would've hoped.

I've been reminded that I am out of the loop- and that, at this point, I might not want to be what I would have to be to be in it.

You Just Don't Get It, Do You, Scott?
Jimmy Jazz- The Clash
Houses In Motion- Talking Heads
What A Friend We Have In Jesus- Mahalia Jackson
Hash Pipe- Weezer
Thalassocracy- Frank Black
Lookin' For a Leader- Neil Young
Luz Azul- Aterciopelados
Take Five- Tito Puente
Bailey's Walk- The Pixies

No comments: