Thursday, April 26, 2007

I'm So Worried About Whether I Should Have Stopped Then;
I'm So Worried That I'm Driving Everyone Around The Bend


It makes sense that we spend time worrying about the things that worry us. What worries us may or may not be something that is worth worrying about, or even anything that our worrying can do anything about from someone else's perspective, but what we worry about are the things we think are worth worrying about.

Wait.

I guess I am not supposed to be worried about anything if I am a Christian.

Okay. How about "think about with interest or concern regarding the conditions or outcome of a potentially distressing or importune situation for the purpose of developing solutions?" That's what we do; we don't worry.

We spend time thinking about things in that manner, and the things we think about in that manner are the things we think are worth thinking about in that manner. If we are crafting solutions to address the problem of feral cats overrunning the streets, it's probably because we think those feral cats are a problem. So we release packs of dogs to chase away or kill the cats- problem solved.

What we think is a problem and the solutions we suggest say a little something about who we are. I guess this is a backwards way of thinking about what we say is good. Cat-free streets are good.

Our congregation has a mission statement of sorts: "Knowing Jesus Christ and Making Him Known." I think that's a good thing. I guess it means we think that's a good thing. Knowing Jesus good; not knowing Jesus bad. It might not be perfect. Someone might ask what it means to know Jesus- that's a good thing to explore and re-examine often. It is open to interpretation, but a limited interpretation. One thing it doesn't seem to suggest is that the good is building buildings that need to be filled on Sundays. We don't seem to worry- or think about with interest or concern regarding the conditions or outcome of a potentially distressing or importune situation for the purpose of developing solutions about bigger and more full church buildings. But that does seem to be a concern for some- so much so that that becomes a guiding principle.

I think about that with interest or concern regarding the conditions or outcome of that as it's a distressing and importune situation. I think about it for the purpose of developing solutions. I think about that as it relates to me, a me that understands a good to be knowing Jesus Christ, a me that understands a good to be making Jesus Christ known. Those goods require a certain relation of the church to the world.

That doesn't clarify much does it?

M'eh.

Worry Free Playlist
Letter To Memphis- Pixies
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill- The Beatles
Bombtrack- Rage Against the Machine
Gold To Me- Ben Harper
Clampdown- The Clash
Un Bel Di- Mirella Freni
Happy People- The Weirdos
Forever Young- Bob Dylan
Reptilia- The Strokes

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Don't worry, read Kierkegaard!

Skybalon said...

Your comment was more helpful than you may realize.

It even seems prize-worthy; though awarding another best comment prize so soon after the previous might seem inappropriate.

...

Now I am thinking with interest or concern about how to award you a prize.