Monday, February 25, 2008

In Case of Rapture...


I've heard more than a few times now, concern about Mike Huckabee's performance in the Republican primaries as well as hope that he can use his influence among some conservative Christians as a lever to influence candidate selection. I mean I've heard this in churchy circles. I've heard church comrades express this.

I don't hide my political leanings, nor do I expect anyone else to necessarily hide their inclinations or hold their tongue simply because I'm a brown lefty, as long as they're willing to be called on their BS. So when I heard, multiple times that this concern and hope are rooted in a desire to finally have "a real Christian" president, I crapped. Then I asked, what were the last seven years? I tortured any sense of what "Christian" might mean for you, and now you tell me it wasn't necessary? When did this realization strike you? It certainly wasn't three years ago. At what point did you jump the 30 Percenter Express? Is this part of the same phenomena that cause a certain stripe of Christian to jump on other cultural trends five years behind the curve? Is this the political equivalent of "God Tube"?

It's statements like that that tempt me to believe in the phrase "You people."

The best response, well really the only response other than "... uh well..." was the following:
"Well if George Bush is a Christian, he's the kind who would have a 'God is my co-pilot' bumper sticker, but Huckabee's would say, 'If God is your co-pilot, change seats.'"

So there you go.

... Start Clapping
Faith and Inspiration Playlist

No comments: