Sunday, February 25, 2007

I Like Stories


Last year the QweenBean and I went out of our way to see the Best Picture Oscar nomineees. This year?

M'eh

After Crash won Best Picture I wouldn't trust Academy voters or those in the know to tell me where to spend my 10 bucks. Maybe I should've figured that was the case before. After all, those in the know chose MY PRESIDENT, gave us all that great intelligence about Iraq, and now Iran. And voters? Well, whatever.

Not that Crash was bad. But it was exactly what you expected wasn't it? Kind of an adventure in After School specialdom right?

So we and the Academy aren't on the same page. That's no big deal. I guess it means we don't really have a dog in this fight. I liked Little Miss Sunshine, but Best Picture of The Year? I shouldn't think so.

But we still like movies, and we love Ellen. So here's what it's worth this year:

Cate Blanchett is gorgeous. I can't believe she's not one of my celebrity crushes. She is now.

Even with a backing track- some people cannot clap on the right beat.

Jennifer Lopez looks her age.

I would so vote for Al Gore... And, not that it should matter, I would absolutely rather have a beer with him than the guy who would poke you in the chest when you disagree with him.

To get interpretive dance right- don't give it more than 15 seconds.

Beyonce doesn't know where she is, or at least dresses like she doesn't

I still don't know who Jennifer Hudson is.

Oh, and just like last year, we had to make a trip to Target mid-Oscars. That's weird... And still gay?

4 comments:

Christopher Frazier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christopher Frazier said...

Children of Men should have won in every category it was nominated. Pan's Labyrinth was nothing special, unless we're talking about a Special Film Olympics kind of special, where simply being a foreign film qualifies you for entry. Splashing some blood on the Neverending Story is not an achievement, especially in cinematography.

I DID like the typography this year.

Skybalon said...

Was your first comment dirty?

I would say though, that splashing blood on the pathetic band Atreyu is an achievement worthy of recognition.

Daniel Lopez said...

Hooray for Mexican Cinema! Babel (Just saw Amor es Perros), Pan's Labyrinth (I have been a fan of Guillermo del Toro for little while, and Children of Men!