Thursday, February 08, 2007

Unironically USA, USA, USA!!


Last night was a tough night for getting things done. There was the US versus Mexico, Duke versus NC, Mythbusters, and a couple of cute puppies all competing for my attention. School work was not in the competition. That is, there was really no contest, only the triumph of will over desire that got things done.

The US beat Mexico again. Though Mexico easily won on swagger and style points, those don't count for a win. If they did, somehow whining and grimacing would have to be factored in too. So with that I still think we would have won. (I'm brown- I hope you'll let me say "we" for the US team).

That's nice to see after their performance in that we do not name, as was the generally confident play of Americans, especially those called from the EPL for this match. But more than anyone else, I was impressed by Eric Wynalda's performance.

I was originally watching this match en espaƱol for TV watching reasons too complex to explain, or at least more complex than TV watching should warrant, but I switched over to the Deuce and there was Wynalda sitting in the same room as Arena.


If you watched any of the English language coverage of that we do not name, you would have seen that by the end of the first round, Wynalda was pissed off at the Americans and had little good to say about Arena. In addition to many lackluster performances, it's easy to fault Arena's choices about camp, formation, and starters. It's easy to fault them, because many of them were stupid.

Anyway last night he was quite a trooper and never once punched Bruce in the face. I read this wasn't the first time they appeared together so maybe it's not that impressive, but with so little in the world to give us hope in the possibility of goodness, I'll hang on to this.

That's all.

Sorry to make you wait so long for something so unsubstantial.

2 comments:

Aaron C said...

That's right, we all patiently wait for you precious word juice to drip onto our dry gullets.

Skybalon said...

I know. That's why I've been writing less. My word juice can be habit forming and I don't want to be responsible for anyone's descent into word juice addiction.