Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Christmas=Sex


I'm a crank. I'm not a humbug- I love Christmas. I'm a crank. I am a crank because I have little patience for our Christmas nonsense. The song Silent Night?- it's great. The Song Silent Night used to sell Pampers?- that's horrible.

So as a crank I am watching TV and notice that at this time of year, Christmas is used in commercials that typically use the idea of sex to sell their products. While during the rest of the year the formula usually is: Buy this you will be sexy and probably get to have sex- but you have to buy this first, now the formula is: it is Christmas time and you will have a good Christmas if you buy this. Instead of saying we make sex possible, they are saying we make good Christmas possible. So Christmas is as masturbatory a fantasy as beer commercials and so far these are some of the products/companies that show this best. That is, these are the commercials I first noticed wish me a Sexy Christmas:
Victoria's Secret
Gillette
De Beers (the diamond people)
Kay Jewelers

While right now I'm only counting it if Christmas is explicitly mentioned as a selling point and replaces or parallels sexual content or suggestiveness, I think the idea of Christmas easily replaces any cultural fantasy as seen in commercials. Instead of putting any difficult production work into a commercial- just show the product and play a Christmas song. Dancing babies with leak-free diapers: replaced with Christmas. Family togetherness and intimacy because of cell phones: replaced with Christmas. I want to see how this can be used for daytime TV products like injury attorneys and career colleges.

3 comments:

Aaron C said...

Maybe Christians should boycott Christmas. Usually we acknowledge Christ's birth by buying things and eating a lot. I know a lot of Christian like boycotting things, its just a thought.

Skybalon said...

That's not just a thought; that's brilliant and hilarious-
I am so boycotting Cultural Christmas- plus with Cyndi making all the money she would just be buying her own presents anyway.

Daniel Lopez said...

Only someone not having sex would say such things! He he he.