Tuesday, December 13, 2005

You're Not Dying, You Just Can't Think of Anything Good to Do



RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. -- Former President Gerald Ford, suffering from "a horrible cold," was in the hospital today for what his chief of staff called routine medical tests.

LA Times

I thought Gerald Ford was already dead.

You know who else has a cold? Me. You know who's not going to the doctor for any kind of tests? Me again. But then I'm not 92. And maybe my cold isn't all that horrible.

Symptoms: Sore throat, headache, sneezing, burning eyes, nothing-due induced ennui.

I don't get sick very often but when I do it is almost always in synch with the end of a school term. Like female housemates synchronizing their cycles, my immune system lays down arms when I turn in my last paper. So here I am, dying, briefly playing host to whatever microbial invader needs a place to stay. I'm not doing anything with me right now so why not?

I enjoy the not doing anything for a time and I enjoy the academic cycle in which the nothing comes and goes. But it is usually a transition I have to push through. Not because I I don't have anything to do but because I need to remember that the nothing there is to do is worth doing.

So another semester is right around the corner, Here's what's on tap for me come January: Hermeneutics, Exegesis, and Preaching from the 1st to 5th c., Knowledge and Culture, Peace Studies Seminar, Survey of Islamic Theology, Philosophy, and Mysticism.
That's right, fool- I'm straight-up rollin' wit da' suzixteen units.

There Certainly Is an "I" in iTunes
I Can't Get No Satisfaction- Devo
I've Been Tired- The Pixies
I've Got a Feeling- The Beetles
She Watch Channel Zero!?- Public Enemy

No comments: