Friday, December 16, 2005

Married?... Married!


I had a reunion of sorts the other day... Monday. That is technically the other day, but when I say that in real life Cyndi says it gives the impression that I mean sometime within the last three days. So specifically I mean Monday. Monday I saw and heard about a number of people that I've known since elementary school. So and So is a tattoo artist in Texas, Who's His Face lives in Los Feliz, stuff like that. Interesting to me is that everyone mentioned and everyone I saw remain unmarried. Not that I would marry any of them, but whether someone seems an attractive mate to me has never seemed to be a requirement for other people's weddings. Plenty of people who, to me, do not seem like they should be married, or should not be able to find someone to marry them are actually married. Weird.

Anyway, of all the people I hear of or have seen from my eighth grade class only 2 have married and one of those two recently divorced. It's a small class to be sure but that still surprises me. Of the thirty-some kids, I know the marital status of 16. Of those 16, 2 married (I'm not counting myself).

I don't know how that compares to any national demographics but I know how it compares to my wife's classmates. They are working on multiple marriages and divorces. She's not here to give me specific numbers as I think about this, but I know from previous conversations that more of her classmates have gotten married and/or divorced and remarried. I went to private Catholic school, she went to private "non-denominational" school. This means I can make the sweeping claim that Evangelicals love marriage more than Catholics do- they love it so much that some Evangelicals want to do it 3 or 4 times before they're 35.

If you don't believe me that's okay. It was, in fact, a joke. Well, the last sentence was anyway. There does seem to be some type of difference though. I would guess religious background accounts for some of it and it would be an interesting thing to research.

Somebody do that. Find out if Evangelicals are more likely than comparable populations of Catholics to marry younger, divorce and or remarry. Or just find out the attitudes of these groups towards marriage and divorce. C'mon this is golden, somebody use it.

But maybe you're not the researching type. Are you the game playing type? A game Cyndi and I play is setting odds and the line with people's marriages. We like to guess how likely couples are to get a divorce and how long it will take. If you wanted a piece of that action, this information could give you a very good edge.

This Was A Sweet Set
Hanging Around The Day- Polyphonic Spree
Regrets- Ben Folds Five
Mercy Mercy Me- Marvin Gaye
Where Is My Mind- The PIxies
Give It Up Turn It Loose- James Brown
Cancer For The Cure- The Eels
Muzzle of Bees- Wilco
Shining Star- Earth, Wind, and Fire
I Wanna Be Your Lover- Prince

1 comment:

Skybalon said...

Jon, you missed this one. It's an 80's classic.