Thursday, May 25, 2006

Phoning It In


FEINGOLD-BACKED BILL SUPPORTING GREAT LAKES RESTORATION PASSES SENATE COMMITTEE

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Russ Feingold has announced that a bill he cosponsored to strengthen Great Lakes restoration efforts, has been approved by the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee.

Senate Press Release

I remain committed to the Daily Feingold and in this commitment I'm learning something very important. No, not things about Russ Feingold, that's just incidental. More important, I seem to be learning how words don't have to mean anything. That's been a hang up of mine for some time. I think words can suggest different things in different settings and that definitions can change over time, but when meaning changes it shows that our larger concepts have changed. Even though they change they are stable and rooted in a particular setting. Words mean something. I'm beginning to see how silly that is.
Hence the Daily Feingold is not offered everyday, even though the word daily suggests it would be. Daily means everyday. From the beginning I wasn't doing it on most weekends so already Daily meant something else. And now, I'm missing weekdays, but still I call it the Daily Feingold. It's really more The Frequent Feingold or The Somewhat Regular Feingold.
Whoops, that's not the direction I should go.


-When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less.
-The question is, whether you can make words mean so many different things.
-The question is: which is to be master - that's all.

What wonderful insight, Humpty Dumpty. Especially considering the political relations the Daily Feingold has, I better put this nonsense about the meaning of words behind me.

1 comment:

Paddy O said...

Impenetrability!