Monday, May 08, 2006

While We Were Talking I saw You Nodding Out


In case you forgot the differences between US and THEM, or maybe you were thinking there isn't such a think as US and THEM, here's a reminder:

WASHINGTON — Rep. Patrick J. Kennedy (D-R.I.) denied through his office Thursday that he had been drinking before he crashed a car into a Capitol Hill security barricade at 2:45 a.m.

"I consumed no alcohol prior to the incident," he said in a statement. "I will fully cooperate with the Capitol Police in whatever investigation they choose to undertake."
...

Baird wrote that the officers were not permitted to perform basic field sobriety tests and that the watch commander on duty "ordered all of the patrol division units to leave the scene."

Officers then drove Kennedy home, the congressman said in his second statement. "At no time did I ask for any special consideration," he added. "I simply complied with what the officers asked me to do."

LA Times

Well of course he didn't ask for special treatment. The point is he didn't have to. If you have to ask for special treatment you don't "deserve" it.

So there is an US and THEM but where the line is isn't clear.

If I got pulled over for driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol I'm going to jail. If I get pulled over for an unsafe lane change, I'll probably be sent on my way. But in neither case would I ask for the particular treatment. If I shot someone in the face and then had to ask people to cover up how alcohol was involved or how long to wait to tell anyone, I don't really have "the juice" to get away with shooting someone in the face.

So maybe that's the line: what you get and know without asking.

No comments: