Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Russ Feingold Has Bird Flu!


I was going to say I no longer read the text of stories for the Daily Feingold and then begin rumors with what I glean from the headlines. But I read the article. It's about Russ Feingold being popular with some clusters of voters but not always so in the Senate. He doesn't really have the Avian Flu. Boring.

So I apologize for the less than thrilling Daily Feingold. But, just like every cowboy sings a sad sad song, I was reminded of an idea I had to start internet rumors. I was actually inspired by my real confusion about the alligator story and a note I received yesterday asking why Christians are so passionate about promoting ignorance and censorship. I thought it might have been funny to promote a little ignorance by offering news commentary from just reading the headlines... Maybe funny is the wrong word.

I don't have an answer for that question. It does seem that too often delusion and gullibility are confused for faith. Every now and then I return to the Beliefnet message boards and am reminded of this from all sides of discussion. A lot of non-Christians think Christians are stupid, and a lot of Christians give them good reason.

Anyway, it reminded me that I want to start Christian e-mail forwards. Somebody has to, why not me? Right now would be a good time to start a rumor about immigrants- Mexicans are coming as Catholic missionaries, or teams of illegal immigrants are coming to work as housekeepers to steal babies, or for the past ten years an Arizona pastor has been rounding up illegal immigrants, preaching the gospel to them and sending them back as missionaries where they've started churches... oohhh I like that one. Or this one, A San Diego couple would drive along the border offering food and water to people illegally crossing, and one day they came across Satanist drug smugglers. There's a plot hole here, but after some exchange in which they're told they can go if they deny Jesus they're martyred. That one feels right too. OOOHHH how about in a meeting with a foreign journalist, W is asked about his low approval numbers. A FRENCH (read atheist) journalist asks him how he feels about his low numbers and W tells him about his faith and that the world hates him because he was chosen out of the world to do good works- therefore the world hates him because the world hates Jesus, foolishness to the Greeks, weakness of God, and all that. The French reporter is so impressed by his faith he becomes a Christian. YES!

3 comments:

Paddy O said...

"an Arizona pastor has been rounding up illegal immigrants, preaching the gospel to them and sending them back as missionaries where they've started churches"

ummm... my grandfather was this person. Not in Arizona. La Puente. He had a Bible College, founded after he began to see the workers on his farm as really needing to hear the Gospel.

As far as Catholic missionaries, that might be the key to get some of the intellectual religious right on the side of open immigration. Becoming a Catholic is very hip these days. All the finest people are doing it.

Skybalon said...

Perfect- now I have the "someone I know" element that makes these stories so credible. Thanks

Paddy O said...

I'm all about helping you keep it real.