Monday, May 15, 2006

That's Like Shooting a Beautiful Man


I used the word faggot in a previous post in much the same way it might be used when one says, "You're buying your girlfriend flowers, dude, what a fag." Or, "You're a vegetarian?! Why don't you go live in Russia, faggot." It's like Pinko was back in the day. It's supposed to have those sexual implications, but when it's used like that it's about more than sex. Limp-wristed softness is subversive and dangerous and somehow all wrapped up with our thoughts on stereotypical masculinity, sensitivity, art, sports, stoicism, kindness, harshness, femininity, blah blah blah.

I wonder why , or perceived sexual identity is wrapped up in so much of what we do. I don't say I wonder, as in "How come it is?" I mean it is and I often wonder about it.

I'd like to look at this more. But I'm not going to now. I no longer say I'll get back to it in another post. I may... I may not. But if I do, believe me, it's gonna be great. Let's hope I get back to it real soon.

Oh and to anyone who might take offense at my use of faggot as a derogatory term, or say I'm perpetuating negative stereotypes by using it, or who says I have no right to use the word because I'm not gay, I say this:
I'm gay enough-


The Whole Modern World’s Got a Swishifying Effect on Kids Today
Birds and Ships- Billy Bragg & Wilco
Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before- The Smiths
Skanky Panky- Kid Koala
Gone With My Mind- Dead Kennedys
Exodus- Bob Marley
So. Central Rain- R.E.M.
Dedicated Follower of Fashion- The inks
Luz Azul- Aterciopelados

1 comment:

Skybalon said...

I don't remember what it is to be sober