Monday, November 14, 2005

Guns Don't Make People Gay, I Do



The NAE and other Evangelical groups have recently declared the environment is a legitimate Christian concern.

Prior to this imprimatur, despite it seeming to be a Biblical value and part of the Church's history, environmentalism was seen as the interest of pagan hacky-sack playing abortionists. Long ago, a youth pastor from a Friends Church actually told me not to recycle because when we run out of everything Jesus was coming back. Recently, Oklahoma Senator James Inhofe and Pat Robertson explained that environmentalism is ultimately idolatry. Despite that, some Evangelicals have turned a corner on this issue, that's good.

I wonder what's different.

In a completely unrelated story, today's Times reports on a study that finds pollution is playing havoc with the sex traits of coastal fish. In short, male fish are being feminized because of pollution. This isn't new. Freshwater animals have long suffered in this way from sewage and industrial contaminants but this study is "among the first" to show these effects on saltwater marine life.

Now if we can just find a connection between gun shot wounds or poverty and "feminization."

Exodus- Bob Marley
MFC- Pearl Jam
Things Have Changed- Bob Dylan
Just Another- Pete Yorn

1 comment:

Paddy O said...

Here you have me. I'm a die hard environmentalist.

I'm not sure I've yet heard anything for the cause of environmentalism I disagree with, with even the more extreme stuff getting a bit of my sympathy.

I cheer for it all. Both because I believe to honor God means honoring his creation. I also believe the sharpening of our environmental habits has always been a positive for humanity, socially and economically.