Thursday, November 03, 2005

So Easily Distracted


So I think I should explain something. It seems that if I criticize the president or his minions, someone inevitably assumes I am devoted to the opposition. I am, but not the opposition you might think. I'm not a Republican, but I'm not a Democrat either. It seems a natural assumption. If it's not black it's white. If you're not right wing, you're left wing. If you're not a Republican you're a Democrat. Most of the time, for many people, this is true.

I am very critical of this administration. To make sure I am clear, I was critical of the last administration. (I shouldn't, but I have to say that so that I can get to the end.) I am very critical of politicians in general. This is necessary. It's necessary because I am a part of the church. The church isn't supposed to be as it has, especially as Evangelicals have been. We shouldn't be so desperate to control a political agenda that we sacrifice our souls. We are not chaplains to the left or right. We are not the conscience of a world whose soul is so seared it won't listen anyway. We are the church; we are a people whose lives are possible because of the reality of Christ. We are the church so the world knows it's the world.

Related to what I've said before, this is political. The life a Christian is called to is political, and I am going to be the guy looking like a jerk saying to the "world" "they are dreaded and feared, their justice and authority originate with themselves, but they will be held guilty whose strength is their god." And if a politician claims they are a Christian (which I still have trouble with), well then "woe to them who is rebellious and defiled."

Unless being a Christian is just about being a Boy Scout.

1 comment:

Paddy O said...

Excellent clarification.

And a very true, needed, and worthwhile position to take.

Keep at it.