Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Phew?


So I stopped by the church office today to talk about the apocalyptic hope sermon. It helps that I live on the church property. Yes the apocalyptic language was intentional, but no the intention was not to deny the reality of the hope the Body of Christ lives in right now. It's all good- or at least it's mostly good. No one's getting loopy.

I mentioned my concern that there are enough people that are informed more by Hal Lindsey or Tim La Haye than the Bible that all you have to do is say apocalypse and you have a ton of baggage to unload. That this baggage wasn't unloaded worried me. See how much baggage there is? It freaked me out.

I would have erred on the side of really x 10 making clear that I wasn't talking about a hope that imagined hiding out until we are whisked off to the sky- especially in the context of Advent, but it's cool- I hope.

I trust our preaching pastors so I'm looking forward to where this ends up.

So talking about it was the right approach. It's important that Cyndi not hear she was right.

Hospital Song- Ben Fold's Five
So What- Miles Davis
Ten Years Gone- Led Zeppelin

6 comments:

Aaron C said...

Cyndi, right? Next she'll making all the money and calling all the shots... wait a second.

Skybalon said...

Doesn't the fact that she makes all the money suggest I am the one calling the shots?
Besides I took the recycling in today and made eight dollars.

Aaron C said...

You make an oden of a point.

Paddy O said...

Here I am just wandering through, thinking I might make a point about how oddly non-Quaker this all sounds (what is that "inner light" we all are supposed to have? an extra bit of patience for when Christ finally does get to working again?).

Then I got stuck, realizing I may not be able to make an oden of a point in my passing thought, yet by nature would be making an oden of a point.

It got very confusing and now I need to lie down.

Skybalon said...

I think aaronc and oden should fight- only oden doesn't get his power rings and aaronc can't use the fanus...
that's oddly non-Quaker too though.

Daniel Lopez said...

I like chicken.