Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Meet the New Boss...


A lot of people... well I approach politicians with the whole "lesser of two evils" mentality. I see it like looking for the best turd out of a porta-potty. I guess I could be happier if I saw them as Jesus. I don't mean seeing them as Jesus might see them. I mean I could be happier if I saw politicians as anointed messiahs who were strong deciders and governed to the MAX!

But I don't. I am the sadder but wiser girl. I have expectations and am hopeful, but within a certain range of possibilities.

So I say this tentatively: I am really digging Russ Feingold more and more. I especially enjoy the way he has little regard for the cowardice and duplicity of members of his own party. I really like that he seems to reject the Democratic Matrix. I like his voting record, and I like that he was able to somehow escape from the clutches of underworld crime boss Arlen Specter. But don't take my word for it.

Is it possible for me to like him to the MAX!? I might have to ditch some of my critical thinking for that and I wonder if that would mean I would no longer like him.

I'll try and then let you know what happens.

3 comments:

Aaron C said...

"Same as the old Boss."

Skybalon said...

Well, Chris,

TAX and SPEND, TAX and SPEND.

It depends on what the government spending is for. If it's for so-called "goods and services," then I think it can be good.

There's plenty of evidence that pooled capital, economies of scale, and planning can augment the negatives and vagaries of capitalism and support the infrastructure and stability that makes modern civilization possible.

I don't think government spending is good or bad in and of itself. (Hence I don't fit into the conservative or libertarian hole). The choices we make about spending are what matter to me.

Skybalon said...

Citing diminishing returns acknolwedges that there are in fact returns to be had from spending at various levels.

I don't advocate letting the federal government, or any level of government doing everything, but I am decidely not libertarian or conservative because there are things that can be done and made better through competent governance.

If I thought competent governance was impossible it would be a different story, but as it is, I remain hopeful.